Spinach swirl recipe:
For this recipe, you need to create the dough and the filling separately, that’s how we do it at Arapina— with homemade dough!
Bread flour 70g
Wholemeal flour 145g
Caster sugar 25g
Margarine 215g (35g for the dough mix & reserve 180g for folding)
Yeast 5.5 g
- Add all ingredients and mix for 10 min.
- Carefully, add the salt on the opposite side of the yeast, in order not to kill the yeast.
- Cover with cling film and leave the dough to rest overnight in the fridge.
- Spinach 500g
- Olive oil 7.5 ml
- White onion (1, diced)
- Leeks (2, diced)
- Garlic (4 cloves, made into purée)
- Spring onion (4, diced)
- Pine nuts 5g (for garnish)
- Dill (handful)
- Vegan double cream 25ml
- Golden Syrup 10 ml
- Water 10 ml
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Add the olive oil into the pan with the diced onions, leeks & garlic puree to cook until soft.
- Add the diced spring onions, dill, salt and pepper and leave it cooking for 3 minutes.
- Then add the fresh spinach and cook until it has been reduced.
- Add the dill, mix every 2 minutes for 10 min.
- Add the vegan double cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Let it cool and get ready to assemble the roll.
- Take the dough and roll to make it about 3 cm in thickness.
- Carefully, shape the remaining margarine into a book-shaped rectangle.
- Place the newly shaped margarine in the middle of the dough, making sure there’s dough uncovered on both sides.
- Start making the foldings (known as the book folding), 3 folds in total leaving the dough to rest in the fridge, 1 hour in between the folds
- Roll the dough at 5 mm thickness, make sure the length is at least 40 cm.
- Once the dough is flat, spread the vegan spinach mix evenly throughout the dough.
- Take the bottom of the dough and roll it in an upwards motion, creating a long roll.
- Once finished, cut approximately every 4 cm.
- Take the end part of the roll pull it 180º and tuck it under the bottom of the swirl so the roll does not get undone when baked.
- Place the rolls on a baking sheet, and sprinkle pine nuts deliberately on top of the swirl.
- Proof the rolls for 30 min and then bake.
Bake at 180º C for 6 min, then reduce the temperature to 170º C for 16 min.
- In a separate bowl, mix golden syrup and water to create the golden syrup glaze. Use a brush to glaze your spinach swirl after baking, once this has cooled down